Sunday, May 16, 2010

Let the Drummer Kick

Came across these remarkable young men a couple of days ago while cycling past the Bath House at English Bay. I was up on the street level, heard the live music, and couldn't resist hopping off my bike, walking down to the beach, and stopping to listen to them for a few minutes. I didn't get the name of the group, which pains me, as they are phenomenal musicians. In addition to the marimbas they're playing in the foreground here, there were also a half dozen other percussion instruments, including congas, a djembe, and other small drums I'm not hip enough to recognize. They were playing West African and Cuban beats, and were gathering quite a crowd. Their musicianship was outstanding; periodically they would all switch places and play each instrument in turn, without ever losing the rhythm, interrupting the song, or changing the amazing energy they were putting out into the warm Friday afternoon.

I hope I get to see them again - then I can update this page with their name/links to their work. If anyone knows who they are, please let me know in the comments. This kind of talent should be recognized!

***UPDATED***
Thanks to Harriet, I now know that this group is called Kutapira. All hail the twitter hive mind!

Post title from this song by Citizen Cope.

1 comment:

  1. Did you get my tweet. Pretty sure that's Kutapira. They do lots of festivals and school shows. They are a marimaba ensemble.

    ReplyDelete